Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Hot Hot Hot!

No whining. No complaining. No sweat! Well actually there was pleanty of sweating. So much in fact I was a dripping mess by the end of my first Bikram class. The 26 posture series took my lil body on an intense ride. We began the class with a standing  pranayama (breathing).
Posture 1 : Standing Deep Breathing : Pranayama Series

Benefits: Good for mental relaxation , sleep disorders, and anxiety/irritability. Brings fresh oxygenated blood to every cell of the body. Breathing is one of the most important aspects of yoga.
 It felt awkward at first but I as it progressed I got the idea. Not the typical pranayama I am used to, but it felt great. The room started to heat up so intensely and the smell of wet dog was overwhelming. 15 minutes into it I could believe how relaxed my muscles were becoming. I am such a stiffy- so it was nice to feel loose for once. Beads of sweat rolling down my red face...Keep breathing I told myself. The instructor, Jackie led the class with enthusiasim and threw in a little humor as needed.
As class progressed I started to feel that sick feeling from working harder than I am used too. But I kept going. I liked the challenge. I knew that the light at the end of the tunnel would be cool air and a meal.
I made it through all 26 asanas (postures)! I DID IT! 90 minutes in the torture chamber was complete.
 For anyone who hasn't tried Bikram I HIGHLY reccomend it. It pushes you beyond your own limits. Which in the western society we need. We are so used to the pleasures of comfort that anything out side our "comfort zone" we tend to stay away from. Bikram yoga is a great way to challenge yourself and the benefits are amazing:


BENEFITS OF BIKRAM YOGA:

Reshapes your body
Restores flexibility
Tones, strengthens, and lengthens your muscles
Strengthens your spine
Improves circulation
Reduces risk of sports injury
Achieves relief from pain
Reduces your weight – lose pounds by balancing your metabolism
Raises energy level
Diminishes the effects of stress
Increases balance, coordination, focus and discipline
Clears your mind
Calms your soul
Ensures healthy and balanced functioning of the skeletal, muscular, circulatory, nervous,
digestive, elimination, respiratory, endocrine, and mental systems of the body

BENEFITS OF THE HEAT:
Warms the muscles for greater flexibility
Helps achieve a deeper stretch
Flushes toxins from the body
Improves efficiency of the immune system
Creates a cardiovascular workout
Burns calories
Builds endurance




0 comments:

Post a Comment


Followers